Tuesday 8 November 2016

How American Works and How Hillary Clinton Speech Stands to Go

Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman John Podesta says the Democratic nominee will not speak to the country Wednesday morning.
“Well, folks, I know you’ve been here a long time, and it’s been a long night, and it’s been a long t—uh, campaign. But I can say, uh, we can wait a little longer, can’t we? They’re still counting votes and every vote should count. Several states are too close to call, so we’re not going to have anything more to say tonight. So listen, listen to me, everybody should head home, you should get some sleep, we’ll have more to say tomorrow."





We may not get a concession speech tonight from the U.S. presidential race. Such speeches have been a hallmark of American elections for decades, promising a peaceful transition of power. Many of those speeches have been memorable.
Republican John McCain, on losing to Barack Obama in 2008: “"This is a historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight. … Senator Obama has achieved a great thing for himself and his country. I applaud him for it.”
Democrat Al Gore, on losing to George W. Bush in 2000: “I know that many of my supporters are disappointed. I am, too. But our disappointment must be overcome by our love for the country. … I call on all Americans – I particularly urge all who stood with us – to unite behind our next president.”
Republican George H.W. Bush, on losing to Bill Clinton in 1992: “… Do not be deterred, kept away from public service by the smoke and fire of a campaign year or the ugliness of politics. As for me, I'm going to serve and try to find ways to help people."
Democrat Adlai Stevenson, on losing to Dwight Eisenhower in 1952: “"It hurts too much to laugh, but I'm too old to cry. I urge you all to give General Eisenhower the support he will need to carry out the great tasks that lie before him. I pledge him mine. We vote as many, but we pray as one."
Republican Thomas Dewey, losing to Harry Truman in 1948: “"It's been grand fun, boys and girls. Good luck.”
Republican Richard Nixon delivered one of the nation’s most memorable concession speeches – well before successfully running for president in 1968.
After losing the 1962 California governor’s race, he told a roomful of reporters: "Just think how much you're going to be missing. You don't have Nixon to kick around anymore because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference."

No comments:

Post a Comment